Birth Certificate Fees R.S. 40:40 + R.S. 40:39.1
Birth Cards - $14.00
Birth Certificates - $34.00 as per SB350
Effective immediately, Act 270 of the 2016 Louisiana Legislative session mandates that birth cards may only be sold when a long-form birth certificate is purchased in the same transaction.
Birth Certificates - individuals born in Louisiana from the year 1983 to the present may obtain a certified copy of their Birth Certificate
from the Clerk of Court's Office. Birth Certificates for infants shall be available 90 days after birth.
Those individuals born prior to 1983 are now able to receive both birth certificates and birth cards, but will have to wait 30 minutes to one hour after application is complete for the state system to update the information.
Birth Certificates will be issued ONLY at the Edgard Courthouse on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday between the hours of 8:30 AM to 4.00 PM.
Birth Cards - individuals born in Louisiana from the year 1903 through present (100 years) may obtain a Birth Card from the Clerk of
Court's Office. This 3" x 4" document has the person's name, date of birth, parish of birth, date the birth record was filed, sex, mother's
maiden name and father's initials listed as well as the Vital Records birth number. The birth card is accepted by any governmental
agency that requires a certified copy of a birth record. A birth card can be used for passports, marriage licenses, driver's license, social
Identification Requirements: Must produce identification in the form of one primary document or two
1. A state issued Driver's License that includes a photograph that clearly identifies the applicant as the same.
2. A state issued picture identification that includes a photograph that clearly identifies the applicant as the same.
3. A current U.S military identification card that includes a photograph that clearly identifies the applicant as the same.
4. A U.S. Passport with current photograph that clearly identifies the applicant as the same.
5. For students that are in high school or below, a current school yearbook or a current school identification document with a
photograph that clearly identifies the applicant as the same.
1. A student picture ID card from a Louisiana college or university when accompanied by a 100% fee paid receipt for the current
semester. Note: This counts as two documents.
2. A W-2 form issued within the last two years plus an original signed Social Security card. The Social Security numbers must match.
Note: This counts as two documents.
3. A certified copy of adoption papers.
4. Official certified deeds or title to property in Louisiana.
5. Louisiana certificate of vehicle title.
6. Insurance policy (Health, Home, Life, Auto).
7. A payroll stub. The stub must show the name and Social Security number of the applicant. Note: Cannot be handwritten.
8. A current U.S. military dependent identification card that includes a photograph that clearly identifies the applicant as the same.
9. Original DD-214 Military Discharge document that clearly identifies the bearer as the same.
10. A medical card with the applicant's name on it.
11. A Social Security card that is signed.